Cyanogenmod 13 ( Android 6.0, Marshmallow ) now officially supports Motorola Moto E 2nd generatin ( 3G ), and it is awesome. If you want to use the more stable Cyanogenmod 12.1 ( Lollipop ), Read my post about it HERE
Some users have reported that they have been facing network issues with this build. So, do it at your own risk
Motorola Moto E Second Generation, 3G variant, Code name: Otus. XT1506. This post is about the 3G variant, and not the 4G one.
I’m not responsible for whatever happens to your device by you following the instructions mentioned in this page. No, seriously.
If you brick your device, it’s your own responsibility and you should blame yourself only. But, if you have little bit of common sense and the ability to understand English, I promise you that nothing will go wrong.
And one other thing to note here is that, IT WILL WIPE YOUR DEVICE AND ALL THE DATA WILL BE LOST. DO A BACKUP BEFORE FLASHING ANYTHING.
Let’s just jump to the installation part, nobody like the rest of the article anyway.
- You need an unlocked bootloader for this to work. If you don’t have an unlocked bootloader, read THIS
- You need a rooted device with TWRP installed. If you don’t have it, go HERE
How to install CM 13 on Moto E
- Download the latest version of the ROM file from HERE
- Download google apps (gapps) for CM 13 from HERE. Make sure you download the one corresponding to CM version 13. Transfer it to the root of your SD card
- Turn off your phone, now press and hold power button and volume down buttons simultaneously. Release the power button after a few seconds and you should see the recovery menu. Use volume down to move the selection to the “Recovery” and press the volume up to make a selection. TWRP should load now
- In TWRP, you can use the touch screen. Go ahead and wipe your device now. Tap on advanced wipe and select “data, cache, dalvick cache and system” and swipe to wipe. WARNING!! THIS WILL ERASE ALL THE APPS/CONTACTS AND WHATNOT FROM YOUR PHONE. But, I know you have a backup.
- Once everything is wiped, tap on install zip, and add the two zip files you have downloaded previously. Now swipe right to flash those zip files, once the flashing is completed, reboot your device, sit back and relax. Your phone will boot into Cyanogenmod.